Friday, January 2, 2009

I Have Been Blessed!

I am a firm believer that recognizing one's blessings and having a grateful heart is one of the keys that opens the windows of heaven to much joy and happiness.  I do not believe that we are "lucky" we are only "blessed" from a God who loves us more than we can comprehend.  I just couldn't let this year go by without acknowledging some of my most cherished  and heartfelt blessings/memories from 2008!  This year has been an amazing journey, from small, simple moments that warmed the heart to once in a life time experiences.  The following are only a handfull, but there isn't room to share them all.   I read a Danish Proverb the other day that says....Children are a poor man's wealth.  No material wealth could ever bring the joy and happiness that comes from being with family.  In addition to wonderful children and grandchildren, I am supported by a very kind, loving husband.  Happy New Year - I love you all!

It has taken Addison a while to get to know us as we don't get to see them all that often.  So it brought me real happiness when she came up and sat on my lap recently.  I've made a goal to try and get down to Lehi a little more often this next year.

Whenever Marlon comes to town, it's a must to go bowling.  The kids get a lane and the adults get another.  We aren't great but what we lack in skill we make up for in fun just spending time together.  
We had our Thanksgiving dinner a few days early since that's when we have everyone home. There is nothing that brings more joy to my heart than having all of my children and grandchildren together under one roof!

We miss seeing our loved ones!  It's a long drive and we are grateful that Daddy and Shirley are still able to make the trip.  What a great time we had.

If you are afraid of heights, this might not be the activity for you, but I thought it was awesome. Keri Beth was a little bit hesitant, but she found the courage to go with us.  What a fun trip we had visiting Mary, Cam, and Husdson in their new home in Missouri.

While in St. Louis with Mary, we were able to take a 2 1/2 hour trip north to Nauvoo, one of the top thing to do on my "bucket list".  I am so grateful for those who came before and the message of faith and determination that they left for each of us.  I hope we can leave the same legacy for our posterity!

We were blessed to finally meet Marlon's  beautiful girlfriend Daniella.  She is a sweetheart. On a later trip she brought her darling daughter Dalene with her.  Mason and Dalene have become great friends.  We hope to see them again real soon!

It's still hard to believe that we actually went to China.  Being in the "Bird's Nest" with all of the wonderful people from Beijing was an experience we will forever hold dear to our hearts.  Words cannot describe what we felt while visiting this country!

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see"  John W. Whitehead.  Our newest grandchild was born just a week before we left for Beijing, baby Drew.  How grateful we were to be able to hold her before we got on a plane and flew half around the world.  Her birth 2 weeks early was a testimony to me that God knows the righteous desires of our hearts and wants to bless us.

This was the second year that McKayla raised a lamb for the fair.  She is so tiny that it takes every ounce of her to keep a firm hold of her lamb.  She always does so well and it's always so fun cheering her on.  It's a lot of work but this year her lamb sold for $750.00!

California here we come, all 13 of us! We had 7 adults (including a pregnant woman), 3 children, 1 toddler, 2 infants, 3 strollers and car seats, and all of our luggage!  Thanks everyone for being such good sports.

What fun it was to gather at the ball park this past summer to watch Maddi play ball.  It was amazing to see how much she improved from the beginning of the season to the end.  We were so proud of her!

As I looked at this picture I thought of how  children walk in our footsteps.  Hopefully we are taking the opportunity to make this world a better place for them to be.  Marlie is a character as you can see!
Holding a new grand baby is always a sacred experience.  It was hard to imagine that "our baby" Mary, now had a baby of her own.  His name is Hudson and he was born on June 1, 2008.

While we were waiting for Mary to have her baby, the family all gathered at Willow Park to pass the time.  As it turned out, Tim and Kim ended up having to go home before baby Hudson was born by C-section later on that night.


Our first cruise...and Daddy's 80th birthday.  No cooking or cleaning, I could get used to this lifestyle very quickly.  I don't know about the other's but I had a blast!  We  reflected on days long past that brought back some special memories while making new ones at the same time.

While on our cruise, I got to fulfill another one of the dreams on my "bucket list".  As you can see, I swam with the dolphins!
The memory of watching Mary receive her diploma from Utah State in Elementary Education, still brings tears to my eyes.  She worked so hard, and what you can't tell from this picture is that she is 8 1/2 months pregnant!

We surprised Marlon on his 30th birthday back in April at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California.  First off he did not know we were coming and then we surprised him with a party! What an experience to be at the Training Center with so many amazing athletes! 

One of my favorite things to do is to sit in front of the fireplace where it is warm, snuggled up with a good book and baby (Marlie).  I wish they stayed little longer!

As soon as I get out my mixer, there is sure to be helping hands wanting to share the experience of making bread or rolls.   On this day, Mason was my big helper!  The simple joys of watching their excitement to help always brings a smile to my face.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful year of memories.  I look forward to 2009!

3 comments:

Cam and Mary said...

What a great post mom! It was a great year for sure! I'm so grateful that we have such wonderful memories to look back on. We'll make lots more this year too! Love you!

rwkemps said...

Dear Marlene,
I found your recap on 2008 to be delightful. Your philosophy of life is as inspiring as some of the music choices on your new background music player.
With love,
Roger

The Morris Family said...

We all are blessed aren't we! 2008 was a great year for our family! Lots of change, growth, and making great memories! Thanks for all you and Dad did to help the family this year!