It all began several months ago when I received an invitation via Classmates.com to attend my 40th high school reunion. Other than a couple of close friends, I had not seen any of my classmates since graduation day. My mind had occasionally wondered back to the days of my youth and I would find myself wishing and praying for a way to reconnect with those that I shared high school memories with. However, having moved to Utah I had no idea where or how to start the process. This invitation was truly an answer to my prayers.
As the invitation went out, little by little through the internet we began to find classmates and began communicating one with another. We shared pictures and short biographies of ourselves. Plans were made and airline tickets were purchased. As the time grew closer and closer I was so excited that I felt like a young child anticipating my first trip to Disneyland.
To meet with those that I hadn't seen in 40 years was a most unique experience. We arrived at a party thinking we would know everyone, only to find out that we didn't recognize anyone. Thank goodness for name badges and pictures! It's still mind boggling to think that so many years have come and gone, a shocking reminder to cherish every moment. And cherish the moment I did!
The next day my youngest brother Wayne, my twin sister Cheryl, and I went for a ride down memory lane returning to the neighborhood where we grew up, visiting the ball field where we spent hours at Little League games, walking the halls of our elementary school, visiting the church that our family attended, and ended the journey visiting long-time friends.
I called this weekend a gift because it was a time for me to reflect upon my life, the good things, the hard things, the lessons learned, the blessings bestowed. My heart overflowed with gratitude as I came to recognized once again just how blessed I have been. I grew up in a wonderful family surrounded by great friends. For the last 33 years I have been married to a wonderful man, had the opportunity of raising 4 great children who have given me 7 beautiful grandchildren with one on the way. I still enjoy the companionship of wonderful friends and felt truly blessed to have reconnect with those that I have missed throughout the years. I enjoy good health, and have money sufficient for my needs. What a blessing it is to live in a country where we can gain an education, worship as we choose, work, and associate with those we love. As I pondered all of these feelings and looked back over years past it was obvious that life hasn't always been perfect and I acknowledge that I have made many mistakes. I am especially grateful for the tender mercies of our Lord who has seen me through the rough time and has helped me to overcome faults and weaknesses. A long-time friend made the comment to me that "he was a work in progress". I responded, "aren't we all". And I truly believe that we are, thus the need to be patient and tolerant one with another. This weekend reminded me how important the gift of forgiveness is and how vital it is that we extend that gift to others including ourselves.
The pictures below represent the memories that I will forever hold dear to my heart. Thank you to all who helped in anyway to make this weekend a reality. It was indeed a gift!
Cheryl and I found the thether balls that we used to play on as children at our elementary school. I was out to have a good time, Cheryl was out to win!
As I left the next morning for home, I left with a heart full of gratitude for the opportunity I had to share a few days with family and dear friends. I pray that until we all meet again that the Lord will watch over and bless all those that I know and love so much!



2 comments:
I am glad that you were able to go and see you old freinds! (I don't mean old in a mean way, but I guess that works that way,too, LOL!!!) I guess you have to start looking forward to the big 5-0 reunion!!!
You are so beautiful mom! I am glad you had such a good time. I wish we could get all of the family together.
Post a Comment